Get Full Access to this Case Solution NowUnlock Case Solution
This "Reinventing the Practices of Distance Information Systems Development: CGI and the Hubble Project - Part A" case study discusses the issues encountered by CGI. The company has recently entered into an agreement for the development of information systems for a client in Los Angeles. This case study looks at the challenges faced by the company regarding project management.
Carmen Bernier, Line Dube, Vital Roy
Harvard Business Review (HEC001-PDF-ENG)
May 01, 2009
Case questions answered:
- What are the important characteristics of the Hubble project that could lead to significant risks? How would you prioritize these risks? What mitigation steps were taken in the Hubble project to help minimize the probability or impact of these risks?
- What elements of traditional project management may be ill-suited to the Hubble project?
- What alternate approach was proposed by CGI Quebec?
- If CGI implements the modified agile approach, what project risks remain? What can be done to minimize these remaining risks?
Not the questions you were looking for? Submit your own questions & get answers.
Reinventing the Practices of Distance Information Systems Development: CGI and the Hubble Project - Part A Case Answers
What are the important characteristics of the Hubble Project that could lead to significant risks? How would you prioritize these risks? What mitigation steps were taken in the project to help minimize the probability or impact of these risks?
Hubble Project was born to meet the growing needs of the organization because the traditional MRIS (Managers research application system) application was unable to support the growth objectives of the organization (Carmen Bernier, 2009). The Hubble Project was the most significant project taken by the Financials, and it cost US$4 million. The following characteristics of the project lead to significant risk:
- The IT team of Financials located in Los Angles does not have sufficient resources and expertise to complete the project.
- Financials lack the foundation of handling significant and complex projects.
- CGI is located in Quebec, and Financials are located in Los Angles. So this distance could lead to communication and language issues. Communication issues can create many problems in the progress of the project.
We would prioritize these risks with the collaboration of the team members and stakeholders. The risk that has the most impact on the Hubble Project will be given more attention here. In this case, our priority should be to eliminate the risk of failure that can arise from distance and communication issues.
Financials has adopted an excellent framework to minimize the probability or impact of risk in the project. Financial formed a team of employees and experienced consultants. Besides, the financial analyst of Financials will analyze and communicate to CGI, the business needs of the analyst who will use the new system (Carmen Bernier, 2009).
The financial analyst will be responsible for identifying and analyzing the team needs and communicate it with the CGI. CGI has decided to work with the team centralized at Financials. Both the teams tried to eliminate the difficulties that they can face from distancing. CGI team was sure that they will provide a reliable solution to Financials and will avoid any surprises and misunderstandings that can arise due to distance. CGI team decided to perform a demonstration to the client before delivering the software.
What elements of traditional project management may be ill-suited to the said project?
The elements of traditional project management that may be ill-suited to the Hubble Project are…
Unlock Case Solution Now!
Get instant access to this case solution with a simple, one-time payment ($24.90).
- You'll be redirected to the full case solution.
- You will receive an access link to the solution via email.
Best decision to get my homework done faster!
MBA student, Boston