This case study analysis focuses on an evaluation of Rebecca S. Halstead's career history. It includes a discussion on her personal attributes, skills, experiences, challenges, and organizational practices she developed as a successful leader and commander in the U.S. Army. It also describes her leadership style and leadership practices.
Boris Groysberg; Deborah Bell
Harvard Business Review (411050-PDF-ENG)
February 09, 2011
Case questions answered:
- Evaluate Rebecca Halstead’s career. Please be specific and include the following: Two to three inflection points, their impact, and implications and an assessment over time of how strategic she was about her choices.
- Describe Halstead’s leadership style. Please be specific and outline at least three leadership practices you think she used especially well, citing examples from the case to support your answer.
- If you were Halstead, how would you have responded to receiving a no-confidence vote and the withholding of certification from your boss, the 3 Star General, in Germany just before deploying for combat in Iraq? What specific actions would you have taken?
Not the questions you were looking for? Submit your own questions & get answers.
Rebecca S. Halstead: Steadfast Leadership Case Answers
Evaluate Rebecca Halstead’s career. Please be specific and include the following:
Two to three inflection points, their impact and implications.
An assessment over time of how strategic she was about her choices.
Brigadier Rebecca Halstead served in the U.S Army from April 1982 to September 2008. Her subordinates remember her as one of the most successful and efficient leaders of the US army. After her retirement Halstead was elected President of the U.S. Army Ordnance Corps Association. She joined a consulting firm as Executive Director for leader development. She later founded her own consulting firm, Steadfast Leadership.
Rebecca is described as an inspirational leader and influencer. One of the moto that Rebecca was driven by was not to quite under any circumstances. This might have helped to come up with a revolutionary way of management and leadership, working toward enhancing women rights, successful results, and sounds climate in the team. Rebecca Halstead possessed distinctive characteristics that bolsters leadership. Intelligence, gregariousness, perseverance, optimism, determination, and diligence were all relevant to Becky’s behavior. These unparalleled traits and characteristics were instrumental in molding her into an influencer.
Being self-disciplined herself, she totally knew how to control her emotions and solve the conflicts by using diplomacy and wisdom. Being always discriminated against her gender, Rebecca Halstead was frequently contributing to the educate people and change the culture. The big part of this…
Unlock Case Solution Now!
Get instant access to this case solution with a simple, one-time payment ($24.90).
- You'll be redirected to the full case solution.
- You will receive an access link to the solution via email.
Best decision to get my homework done faster!
MBA student, Boston