Get Full Access to this Case Solution NowUnlock Case Solution
Maersk Line, the largest container shipping company in the world, launched its brand promotion through social media platforms. This case discusses the different platforms the company used and how it has helped the company. It also mentions the challenges the company faced and is facing.
Zsolt Katona and Miklos Sarvary
Harvard Business Review (B5779-PDF-ENG)
February 11, 2014
Case questions answered:
- Why do you think Maersk Line was so successful in social media? What do you think are its key drivers of success?
- Evaluate how the company executed on its social media plan and platforms.
- How do you think Jonathan Wichmann calculated the 1500 percent ROI on Facebook? Do you agree with his calculation? Why or why not?
- How do you think the customers will react to the company’s success in social media?
- What are the challenges facing the Maersk Line in social media going forward?
- What should the company do next? What areas should the company focus on and why?
Not the questions you were looking for? Submit your own questions & get answers.
Maersk Line: B2B Social Media - "It's Communication, Not Marketing" Case Answers
This case solution includes an Excel file with calculations.
Why do you think Maersk Line was so successful in social media? What do you think are Maersk Line’s Key drivers of Success?
Key drivers of Success
Social Media is defined by the way in which people interact to create, share, or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks. By 2013 many social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Tumblr, Flickr, and more existed. Traditionally social media was used more widely by B2C companies, including Maersk Line, for brand promotion of products and services. But eventually, B2B online communities also began to grow. These can be professional networks that contain content and collaboration opportunities.
The reasons for the success of Maersk Line in social media:
- Seeing social media as a strategic marketing effort in the B2B industry.
- Maersk became the first shipping company to move into social media with a head start in multiple social media platforms
- They started authentic interaction with customers and posting content with moving stories.
Maersk’s drivers of success are:
- Visually engagement through a showcase of Maersk’s rich history of ships, seascapes, and ports through photos and videos
- Crisis management by responding quickly to rumors or accidents and improving transparency
- Support from upper management and integration of social media operations into the company’s corporate structure
- Sharing stories on FB, Twitter, and Instagram to reach out to fans and customers, while sharing industry news and service updates on LinkedIn and Google+ for business purposes
Evaluate how Maersk Line executed on its social media plan and platforms
Channel Specific Content Development
- Rank: Ranking social media channels from least to most corporate
- Target Audiences: Fans, Customers, Experts, Employees
- Areas of Focus: Communications, Sales, Customer service
How do you think Jonathan Wichmann calculated the 1500 percent ROI on Facebook? Do you agree with his calculation? Why or why not?
Jonathan Wichmann’s Calculation of 1500 percent ROI, Justified or not
I agree with the calculations of Jonathan if…
Unlock Case Solution Now!
Get instant access to this case solution with a simple, one-time payment ($24.90).
- You'll be redirected to the full case solution.
- You will receive an access link to the solution via email.
Best decision to get my homework done faster!
MBA student, Boston