Get Full Access to this Case Solution NowUnlock Case Solution
Banco Real: Banking on Sustainability case study looks into the values of a bank as it paved its way to being the fourth-largest private bank in Brazil. It seeks to find out what the bank could do more in order to maintain its advantage amidst strong competition.
Rosabeth Moss Kanter; Ricardo Reisen de Pinho
Harvard Business Review (305100-PDF-ENG)
April 13, 2005
Case questions answered:
- What did the bank (Banco Real) want to achieve before starting the change process? Was the path of social/environmental responsibility the best way to do it? What other alternatives could it have?
- Analyze the bank's experience: Do you think your approach is sustainable over time? Do you think the shareholders will be happy with the initiative? Why? Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of the bank's experience.
Not the questions you were looking for? Submit your own questions & get answers.
Banco Real: Banking on Sustainability Case Answers
1. What did the bank (Banco Real) want to achieve before starting the change process? Was the path of social/environmental responsibility the best way to do it? What other alternatives could he have?
The bank (Banco Real) wanted to build a new culture and differentiate itself from the other banks. The sizes of the merged banks were different and the reflection of Fabio Barbosa was logical as to who bought who. ABN of smaller size in the Brazilian market, buys one of the largest and most recognized banks in Brazil, with large size. The above implies building a culture for the new bank generating commitments and being sustainable over time.
Then, the environmental sustainability approach arises and the bank’s responsibility when it finances projects, in order to act under an ethical parameter based on doing things correctly. This involves reviewing the credit projects and verifying that they comply with the sustainability and responsibility policies that the bank has defined. It should be promoted in the culture of the bank that these policies are followed and that together with this it is reinforced that the client is the most important and that if they are correct in their actions and the client feels satisfied, the way of seeing things is transmitted of the organization, managing to be credible and achieving better benefits not only economically, since the bank involves its social responsibility by irrigating its beliefs to society and promoting a sustainable culture.
In my opinion, this sustainable culture is…
Unlock Case Solution Now!
Get instant access to this case solution with a simple, one-time payment ($24.90).
- You'll be redirected to the full case solution.
- You will receive an access link to the solution via email.
Best decision to get my homework done faster!
MBA student, Boston