The "Ariba Implementation at MED-X: Managing Earned Value" case study focuses on Ariba. Ariba was an e-procurement solutions provider who offered a powerful suite of applications to help organizations manage the spending during procurement. The application designed by Ariba was focused on improving the bottom-line results. This case study analyzes the problems encountered by organizations in implementing Ariba and proposes solutions to these problems.
Mark Jeffery, Joseph F. Norton, Alex Gershbeyn, Derek Yung
Harvard Business Review (KEL224-PDF-ENG)
January 01, 2006
Case questions answered:
- Which of the two components is underperforming according to the plan? How do you know this?
- Are the components of the projects within budget? How do you know?
- What can you conclude by looking at the combined earned value data for the project?
- Why did Terry Baker think that the project was going according to plan the entire time?
- How much longer will the project take?
- What should Martin have done earlier in the project timeline to prevent delays?
- What should Martin do when managing future projects to prevent similar problems from developing?
Not the questions you were looking for? Submit your questions & get answers.
Case answers for Ariba Implementation at MED-X: Managing Earned Value
This case solution includes an Excel file with calculations.
Introduction – About MED-X Inc and the Ariba Implementation
MED-X Inc is a global pharmaceutical company that has its headquarters in Houston, USA. Having 54 plants worldwide, MED-X employs more than 40,000 employees. The key strategic objective of MED-X was to transform its procurement organization into a decentralized purchasing model with a self-service philosophy. By the implementation of the Ariba e-procurement platform, MED-X would be able to reduce its spending on procurement and improve the overall efficiency of the process.
About Implementation Technologies
Implementation Technologies was an e-consulting company for B2B (Business to Business) firms headquartered in Chicago, USA. They offered a full range of consulting services to the B2B sector.
Ariba B2B commerce platform was one of Implementation Technologies most experienced services. MED-X went for Implementation Technologies to implement Ariba in their organization for this factor itself that they had the experience of implementing Ariba for over 30 clients.
About Ariba Inc.
Ariba was an e-procurement solutions provider who offered a powerful suite of applications to help organizations manage the spending during procurement. The application designed by Ariba was focused on improving the bottom-line results. This made Ariba a critical strategic choice for many organizations.
1. Which of the two components is underperforming according to the plan? How do you know this?
Fig 1: SPI and CPI of Software customization